Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Give a Little Bit

We went to the Black Pines Animal Park yesterday. They’ve begun their big move/renovation so it’s different and not totally put back together. But the animals are still impressive and the work the place does is still humbling. Over a hundred exotic (and many rather large) animals; big cats, a camel, bears, snakes big enough to eat my youngest … you name it, they’ve got one. All of these animals were rescued from people trying to raise them as pets, circuses or carnivals. And as we wandered around, I was overwhelmed by the immensity of such a facility. I have a heart for animals, but the operation was enormous and, at that, they turn away hundreds of animals a year. The problem, to me, is overwhelming. Feeling that way, it’s not that I don’t want to help, but I notice there is a paralyzing feeling that comes over me in not knowing what to do and in feeling that any action is so small that it is essentially inconsequential. I think sometimes people connect with issues and then do nothing for this same reason. I don’t think so often it’s apathy, but it can look apathetic.

Yet ultimately doing a little is enough. And when people focus on looking for little things to do, the possibilities become apparent. The perspective that a little is enough (and a far cry better than nothing) leads to more action and a sense of empowerment rather than apathy or immobility.

That night, after we visited Black Pine, my son noticed a kitten by the side of our country road as we drove home. We got out and investigated and he and his two siblings appeared to have been a dumped litter. You’d be surprised how many dumped litters we get … kittens much too young to survive on their own and abandoned by their owners.

So we took them home and, after a sinking gut feeling, I went back and found two more in the litter. In total, five little kittens, gorgeous, being smothered with love from my kids until we can find them homes. It felt so good, so empowering, to do something … even though I know it’s not even a dent in the scheme of things.

Whatever your cause is, I encourage you to look for ways, even little ways, to do something. Deciding to do something leads to action, action is empowering, and empowerment feels good and does make a difference.

Consider the man who combed the beach tossing stranded starfish after starfish of the thousands that lay dying on the beach back into the ocean. When questioned what difference he thought he could possibly make because his actions seemed so futile, he threw a starfish back into the ocean and simply stated, “I made a difference to that one, didn’t I?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.